The garage door is one of those things only the most thoughtful homeowners pay attention to. We usually only consider it when it starts playing up and needs repairs. (Read our signs that you need to repair your garage door here).
However, it’s a good idea to keep up maintenance on your garage door, the same as you would your gutters and garden. While we’d like to recommend monthly maintenance for the extra careful and responsible, we know there may only be one time a year that is most suitable for you. So what time of the year is best when you live in Perth?
Springtime for Garage Door Maintenance
Ah, spring. You can finally move past the cold days of winter into the lovely, sun-filled days of the new season. Perth winters, while never too cold, usually provide some serious downpours of rain and thunderstorms. This means that your garage door has probably been through some trauma that may have affected both its physical appearance and performance. Spring is the time to give it the maintenance it so desperately deserves. That way, you don’t have to worry about costly repairs later and you can enhance the longevity of your garage door.
In addition, better weather means more activities and more opening and closing of that door. You want it in prime condition for when you load up the car with sandy boards and head to the surf. Get in there when the weather is still mild before summer comes around and makes you want to forget you have a garage door that needs work in the first place.
Things You Can Do to Maintain Your Garage Door
While you’re in the spring spirit of house and yard work, there are a few things you can do yourself to inspect and maintain your garage door.
- Hand-wash the door to get rid of any dirt, dust or grime
- Decide whether or not it needs a stain or new paint job
- Watch the door as it opens and closes for any uneven movement
- Listen for loud or creaking sounds as it’s in motion
- Use a spray to lubricate the rollers, hinges and latches
- Brush off grime and dust from cables, tracks and springs
- Inspect the weather stripping condition around the door’s perimeter
- Check the garage door opener for travel limits, sensors and other safety features
What Happens If I Notice a Problem?
It’s entirely possible that you’ll come across a problem that needs to be dealt with by a professional.
- Jammed or imbalanced doors
- Worn weather stripping
- Malfunctioning door opener
- Cracked or broken windows
- Snapped cables
- Bent or broken springs
- Damaged panels
Need some help with garage door maintenance? Call Swan Garage Doors on 0400 296 108 in Perth to speak with one of our experts or fill out a quote form.